South Dakota Association of Cooperatives
The SDAC proactively represents cooperatives and their members on legislative, regulatory and educational issues by adding value through a unified voice.
What is SDAC?
SDAC provides valuable services to South Dakota’s agricultural marketing and supply, electric, communication, banking and other types of cooperatives. A board of 12 directors and several regional advisors manage the association. The board includes both producer-members and staff from member cooperatives located throughout the state.
Our full-time lobbying staff works closely with state policymakers, legislative leaders, and allied business and industry groups on issues affecting cooperatives. We provide weekly updates to our members during the Legislative Session, and provide regular reports on interim legislative activity. We also monitor emerging issues and conduct the necessary research that helps our members find positive policy solutions.
- Agricultural and environmental issues
- Economic development
- Transportation and other infrastructure
- Tax policy
Education and Training
Our leadership development and training opportunities are tailored to the specific needs of cooperatives.
- Leadership Education Program for co-op directors, CEOs, CFOs, and other executives
- Spring Managers’ Meeting covers topics and trends affecting farm supply/marketing co-ops
- ABC Conference for co-op Accountants, Bookkeepers, and Controllers
- Annual Convention features speakers from throughout the nation who provide current information that helps cooperatives succeed
We offer several opportunities to promote youth development in South Dakota
- Scholarships are offered to students pursuing post-secondary education
- Support for our state FFA officers to attend the National FFA Leadership Conference
- Co-sponsor the FFA Officer Legislative Breakfast in Pierre
- Financial support for the E-Trading Lab and the Precision Agriculture Center at SDSU
Communication and Outreach
SDAC serves as a link among cooperatives, state agencies, legislators, agricultural organizations, and non-ag organizations. We represent our members on the following boards:
- National Council of Farmer Cooperatives
- SD Ag Unity Group
- Certified Crop Advisory Board
- SD Value-Added Ag Development Center
- SD Highway Users Coalition
- BNSF Ag Advisory Board
- Coalition for Responsible taxation